Question
Posted by: quotation | 2010/08/13

quotation

The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.

William James
US Pragmatist philosopher &  psychologist (1842 - 1910)

One of thne basi principles of CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ).
Susan PLEASE do not post a long question as a comment on another post - I may very well not see it at all.
Briefly, it sounds as though your friend really needs to see a good local psychologist for an assessment and a period of counselling / therapy, to identify and resolve all these issues arising from his past experiences. It sounds as though this would be urgently important to arrange

2
Posted by: Susan | 2010/08/13

My male friend hates his mother and father as they used to mistreated him when he was young. His father used to punch him with his fists and so did his mother. He was put in boarding school while his sisters and brother stayed home. Except from all these hardships he had been able to make progress in life.
He married a girl (she was in love with him and he did not feel the same about her) they had one child which he loves dearly.
He is now divorcing his wife as he claims that she is treating him the same way as his mother did. He some times gets panic attacks and he is not a violent person but would some times hit his fists in frustation against the wall. He is now in love with another woman and is acting obsessively as he thinks she is most wonderful person he has ever met in his life. His wife is still in love with him but the divorce is going on and he does not want to go back to her. He avoids confrontation and would rather walk away. The new girfriend is not in love with him and have told him so but he seems not to listen and comes back every time. She feels sorry for him but do not know how to handle this situation and his wife found out about the situation and is confronting her and they are now both concerned about him as they are afraid he will do something to himself.
Please help.

Reply to Susan