Question
Posted by: quotation | 2010/02/24

quotation

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?

Laurence J. Peter
US educator &  writer (1919 - 1988)

In my many, many years of experience, my personal rule has been - Never trust a man ( or woman ) with an empty desk. It really does tend to reflect their state of mind and intellect.
I actually once met Lawrence Peter at the London Book Fair, years back ( well, come to think of it, as he died in 1988, that;s pretty obvious ! ). He was of course the author of the great book The Peter Principal, which pointed out, amongst other things, that Work expends to fill the time available for its completion, and that people get promoted till they reach their level of incompetence, so eventuially every post comes to be fuilled by someone who is incapable of doing it.

1