Question
Posted by: quotation | 2010/01/19

quotation

Why is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person?

Francois de La Rochefoucauld
French author &  moralist (1613 - 1680)

Sorry, a recurrent programming screw-up in the forum section is for the second day running, preventing me from posting some of my responses, and losing some of those I have posted.
What I tried to say originally, is that we tend to remember whatever is most important to us. The content of our favourite stories is important to us, mexactly who we told the story to, and when, is much less important to us and thus less likely to be remembered.
As least, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it !

1