Posted by: SAM | 2010-05-24

quitting cold turkey while pregnant

I am pregnant, 6 months along, and ashamed to say that I am still smoking. I did originally want to quit right at the beginning, but everyone, including my spouse convinced me not to, which when talking to an addict is not hard. Their opinion is that my body will go into shock and I will loose the baby. So I have cut done to between 5 and 10 a day (I only smoke at home), weekends might be a little more. I can''t just cut down to a few a day, it is all or I am going to not keep to just 2 or three a day. Can I go cold Turkey? Will the with drawl period be dangerous for the pregnancy? I am actually having a very healthy pregnancy and the baby is doing well, so I don''t want to do anything to hurt this pregnancy. If it means weening off the smoking I will, but if you are a 100% sure I can go cold turkey safely, I gladly will do so. I really do want to stop and am in the perfect frame of mind to get started today.

You can stop cold turkey. It will not harm the baby though it might be unpleasant for you.

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-26

Posted by: Zama | 2010-05-25

That " shock"  story is so not true!! I mean really girl. Many women quit cold turkey and have children to show for it. Smoking is very dangerous for baby (and you for that matter) and you may end up giving birth to a baby with low birth weight or a baby with a tendency to have ear infections. Google " smoking whilst pregnant"  and you will see how bad it is for your baby. Best to just quit cold turkey and tell yourself that it is for the good of that little person growing inside you. After all he/she deserves a safe and healthy place to develop.

Think of the baby. All the best

Reply to Zama
Posted by: Dee | 2010-05-25

The story of going into shock is made up by smokers to make themselves feel better about smoking. You are already hurting your pregnancy by continuing to smoke, the damage is basically already done.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Purple | 2010-05-25

I stopped smoking the day I found out I was pregnant 7 years ago and have not had a cigarette since.

There was no shock to my system - just relief I''m sure, and my baby was fine and born much healthier than if I''d smoked.

You risk having a baby with a low birth weight, which means a whole host of possible problems, also you run the risk of a baby with hearing problems. If you smoke, you can''t breastfeed as the nicotine passes through the milk. Each puff of cigarette you have lowers the amount of oxygen your baby is getting while she is in your body.
You are essentially forcing a child to smoke as she has no control over her body while she''s growing inside you.
Once born, she is at a higher risk of cot death.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: me | 2010-05-25

women have no idea how much damage they do to their babies if they smoke of even second hand smoking from other smokers. Smoking inhibits the baby''s growth and could cause premature birth. Your spouse and family/friends who convinced you to not stop smoking are to blame, but you are more so, as it comes across to me that you know you are harming your baby.

Reply to me