Question
Posted by: Mel | 2012/04/04

quiting smoking and weight gain

I have recently stop smoking...it has been over two months now. I feel so much better for it but the problem is that I have gained 5 kg. I am not eating any differently to the way I was before I stopped smoking. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and I never have fizzy drinks or processed foods. Could it be my body trying to repair itself or is this a normal side effect.

Dear Mel
Congratulations for stopping smoking, your health will improve dramatically. It is a known fact that individuals who stop smoking initially gain a bit of weight (this is because your metabolism starts working more efficiently), but if you eat a balanced, low-fat diet and also do some exercise every day (start off by going for walks in the fresh air!), then the weight gain will stop and you will get back to your normal weight over time. I wrote an article on this important subject awhile ago, so click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and do a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming this temporary problem.
Stick to your guns and you will get there.

1

Dear Mel