Question
Posted by: carlisle | 2012/02/27

Quit smoking and weight

Good day,

I want to stp smoking, i decided to give Champix a try, i have heard a lot of good things about it and it sounds like it really works. My biggest concern is that i will gain alot of weight. I am on a healthy diet through a dietician and lost 4 kg, i dont want to quit smoking and then gain everything i have lost and more.

Any advice on this would be great

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

You are already setting yourself up for success in that you've seen a dietician and are losing weight - well done. It sounds like you are serious about getting your health on track.

Don't let worries about putting on weight derail your stop smoking efforts. On average, people who quit smoking only put on 2-3kg, and that can easily be lost in time if you stick to your diet and get regular exercise. Exercise will help speed up your metabolism.

Have an alternative pleasurable activity ready when you want a cigarette - including healthy snacks if you feel the urge to snack (which is likely, especially in the first few days of quitting.)

Don't reach for a cigarette if you notice weight creeping back on. Stick with the programme - your metabolism will adjust after a few weeks, especially if you keep exercising. Keep in mind that quitting smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health - and is worth (temporarily) putting on a few kgs.

Best of luck!

5
Posted by: ZIYANDA MNCONO | 2012/05/07

I would love to quit smoking i have been smiking for 5years now but the thing with me is that if im aorund people who smoke i also want but if im at work and with family you will never see me with a smoke now this is a challenge because the people i get home to smoke my friends all smokew i have tried to avaid them but i dont want to lose my friendship with them as they mean a lot more than cigas...i can stay a week a month without one but once i smell it i want.....please help as I am serious about quitting

Reply to ZIYANDA MNCONO
Posted by: Sarah | 2012/05/02

Smoking is an adcidtion only he can beat and only if he wants to. You can not fix an adcidt or any other personality disorder only the adcidt can. Giving him nicotine gum without his knowledge is a very bad idea, there are extreme health risks there. An unknown heart disease that can even be prevalent in young people. Nicotine poisoning (over dose of nicotine can kill.) Nagging, threatening or money doesn''t change the habit either. I don''t like the word habit though a habit is involved as well as the adcidtion. This tends to soften the reality that it is an adcidtion. One of the hardest to kick by the way. And you are not going to kick it unless you really want to. Like any other habit it might take several attempts to quit.If you want to help prayer is a power full tool, even scientist recognize this, but don''t pray that he gets sick when he smokes that is not a prayer but a curse. How would you like to get sick every time you did something you couldn''t help. Besides it might make him miss school or work. Better to pray that he looses the desire and takes an interest in what it is doing to his health. Add that the cravings, habits involved will go away and it will look unattractive to him. A couple of times when I tried to quit I found my self reaching for my top pocket or bringing my hands to my mouth. Some people start chewing or sucking on pens and pencil. I finally quit with prayer and have no cravings or after habits. Unfortunately I waited to long and there is some breathing problems. Shortness of breath. You see I started at 13 and didn''t quit till I was 50 something. When he is ready there are on line help tips. If you poo poo prayer keep in mind that a lot of adcidtion programs, such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous recognize a higher power and spirituality is one of the cycles involved in the cure. Go to a church and get some people to pray with you. the bible refers to one or more gathered in His name. I like Pentecostal or spirit filled churches because there faith in healing by prayer is strong. You perhaps noticed in the news that faith healing that were going on in Lakewood.Hope this helps.

Reply to Sarah
Posted by: Almay | 2012/03/12

Estelle, ha ha ha sounds like you got a lot of exercise walking up and down the stairs going outside for a smoke. Carlisle, very good question....gaining weight is also my biggest worry. I quite smoking for a month and i did gain the 3kg. So i started smoking again :-(.

Reply to Almay
Posted by: Estelle | 2012/02/28

I stopped smoking about 8 - 9 years ago and I am still the same weight as I was then . I did not use anything to stop I just stopped one day .
We did not smoke in the house or duplex and I just could not make the stairs anymore to go outside for a smoke and that is how I stopped. Regards Estelle .

Reply to Estelle
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/02/27

Best of luck!

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice