Question
Posted by: Kate | 2011/06/30

Quit smoking and gaining weight

I quit smoking, today is my 5th day without cigarettes. Since Sunday I’ ve gained allready 2kg, I don’ t understand, because I only eat veggies and fruit, I don’ t use sugar, I use olive oil for preparing some veggies, I don’ t use butter in my veggies, I eat oats in the morning without sugar, butter or milk, and then throughout the day veggies and fruit and still gaining weight. I’ m drinking 3 or more cups green tea per day and I’ m using all those vits and mineral supplements from the previous question, To many Vits? Do I need to reduce the amount of veggies and fruit?

Dear Kate
Congratulations for stopping smoking, your health will improve dramatically and if you are the same Kate who posted yesterday's question about all those supplements, then you will also find that you won't need any supplements quite soon because your body will not have to cope with all those toxins. Now please don't panic because you have gained 2 kg. It is a known fact that individuals who stop smoking initially gain a bit of weight (this is because your metabolism starts working more efficiently), but if you eat a balanced, low-fat diet and also do some exercise every day (start off by going for walks in the fresh air!), then the weight gain will stop and you will get back to your normal weight over time. I wrote an article on this important subject a while ago, so click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and do a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming this temporary problem.
Stick to your guns and you will get there.

1

Dear Kate