Question
Posted by: CDCM | 2009/01/27

Quinine

Goodday

I recently heard that Quinine has a negative effect on fertility, is this true? Reason being I drink alot of Tonic Water, and it contains Quinine, so I wanted to know if this will have an impact on my chances of conceiving?

Dear CDCM

It is true the Quinine is an abortifacient if given in high enough quantities. In general, the use of Quinine is as an anti-malaria drug. I’m not certain whether the quantities in tonic water are sufficient to cause fertility problems but I would certainly recommend that Quinine be avoided all together.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim