Posted by: Stella | 2009-02-11

Questran lite trying for baby is it safe

I am 25 years and using Questran lite due to gallbladder removal i have diarrhea i am trying to have another baby is it safe or must i stop as soon as possibl. Please help.

Hi Stella
Questran is not absorbed in the body, but it can affect the absorbtion of vitamins and certain nutrients, so may be detrimental to a fetus. It has not been tested in pregnant women and is regarded as "possibly unsafe" How long have you been using the Questran and did they determine the cause of the diarrhoea? If this is a chronic diarrhoea, I really think you should first see a gastroenterologist and try and sort this problem out before you get pregnant.

Posted by: Cyberdoc again | 2009-02-12

Dear Stella
Ask your GP to send a stool sample to the lab to test for infection and malabsorbtion. Also try to eat a very low fat diet. Post gall bladder removal diarrhoea is considered a rare complication, so I just think you should also exclude other treatable causes before taking Questran for the rest of your life!

Reply to Cyberdoc again
Posted by: Stella | 2009-02-12

Hi There
I went for my gallbladder removal in January 2008, 3 months later I strated with servere diarrhea and weight loss and went back to the doctor. The doctor advise me that it normally happens after a gallbladder removal " increase in bile, especially bile acids" . I am using Questran Lite for about 7 months and using additional vitamins, so far so good. Do you stil think I must go see a gastroenterologist?

Reply to Stella