Posted by: RA sufferer | 2009-07-23

Questions re RA

I was diagnosed with RA just over a year ago. I’ m 42 and there is no history in the family of this disease. I was going through a very traumatic experience and was in a state of shock for a while … soon afterwards I started feeling the symptoms of the disease, which was when I was diagnosed. My question is: Could the shock and trauma I was experiencing trigger this disease??? I cant understand why I got it as I was a normal, healthy person before the trauma??? I am presently on Methatrexate, prednisone, plasmoquine, folic acid, calcium and salazopyrin. I am feeling extremely bloated and windy and not sure which of the tablets are making me feel this way. I just want to know… how long does one have to take all these tablets?? I also take anti inflammatories like arthrexin for the pain… when necessary. Is there any specific diet for sufferers of this disease? What are the main causes for flare ups? Also, is there a website with a forum where I can talk about my feelings and concerns to other sufferers?

Dear RA sufferer
RA is an auto-immune disease which means that something goes wrong with your immunity and you start making antibodies against your own tissue. They are not really sure what triggers it, and although there is a trend in families it is not always hereditary.
Prednisone can cause water retention, metotrexate can cause indigestion. The treatment is chronic, but one can reduce the dosages when you go into a remission. Flare ups are caused by chemicals, stress, illness, certain foods - and it differs from person to person.
Support groups:(I don't know how good they are though)