Question
Posted by: OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder | 2010/03/23

Questions on OCD and Depression

I have a few questions. How would you identify if someone has Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)? Is this easy to identify or do one need a few ‘ sessions’  to speak with such a person? Can anxiety / depression worsen OCD?

Then, I was prescribed an antidressant, Mirteron. The pills are 15mg each and prescription says I should take ½  a pill / day for the first week and then 1 pill per day. Then after 1 month, I will receive a stronger doze. I’ ve taken my first ½  pill two days ago, an hour before I go to sleep. I felt very weak the whole day of yesterday, I felt very tired. Only after 5:00 the afternoon I started to feel better. I took it last night as well, but still have the same tiredness today. Is it Mirteron that is causing this and will it go away in the future? Maybe I should also mention, I’ ve been taken Adco-Alzam in the evenings for 2 weeks now to help me sleep.

If there are reasons to believe that anyone is unwell, then the wise thing to do is to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, diagnosis ( if any ) and a discussion of treatment options. It shouldn't be difficult to make a proper diagnosis according to internationally recognized criteria.
Anxiety / depression often accompany OCD, and fortunately they respond to similar treatments - medication often used to treat depression helps anxiety and OCD as well, as does Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( OCD ) a highly effectuive method of talking therapy.
Most drugs show their maximum side-effects in the forst 10 days or so one is taking them, as one's body adjusts to their presence.
Alzam can be really sedative, and can cause a hangover effect the next morning, which may be what's troubling you. maybe you'd best discuss all this with your prescribing doc.

2
Posted by: Renita Rademan | 2010/06/13

Currently I use Illovex 225g, Epilum 200mg, Urbanol 10mg during day (for approx 2 months), and at night Adco-Mirteron 15g (for a week), and still have my downs. Firstly, Does the CHANGE in medication oftenly have a huge impact on my pshychology effects, as I desperately want to feel better? Then secondly I''m having huge, very DEPRESSING NIGHTMARES since I started with the Adco-Mirteron. Is this a side effect for this medication, and will this last throughout the time being that my Dr prescribed? Then thirdly, I googled Mirteron, and the only ingredience I notice is that IT CONTAINS SUGAR. Will I be GAINING WEIGHT?, as my understanding of using Illovex I might be losing weight (is this good? Fourthly, for the first time, I had my periods one week apart (strange???) (PS - before using Mirteron). Does this HORMONAL side effect have anything to do with using these medicine? Thanks a million!!!I am in desperate need of information, as this is really haunting my thoughts. I really appreciate your time and effort in answering me back.......

Reply to Renita Rademan