Posted by: TIRED | 2010-09-29

hI Doc, i have a few questions so i will start from the beginning
In Jan i had the Mirena fitted after my second child was born in October last year as i saw it as a better option than the pill (as the pill makes me gain alot of weight). i have seen that my weight is unstable since then and i feel bloated all the time, is this a side effect? Should i remove it? i had continous bleeding for the first 5 motnhs and then my period became 7 days long and its been like that since ,but my period now (in the last month) the days have changed, it used to be at the end of every month and now all of a sudden its in the middle of the month, is that normal? about a month ago i went to donate blood and they told me i have a low iron level and wasnt able to donate (first time this has happened). I have been feeling tired lately so should i go have my iron tested? my period ended last week and i noticed every time after sex i get this sharp headache on my left temple and it carries on to the back of my head and around my left eyebone, and the next day i feel exhausted like i have been mowed over by a bus and my head has a dull pain. is there someting to be worried about, and why the headaches after sex? i would appreciate any info you have for all my questions.

It is possible that the bloating is related to the Mirena, and irregular spotting is side effect. If your periods are heavier than usual, this is not likely to be related to the Mirena. As to whether you remove it or not, you would have to consider whether alternative contraception has more acceptable side effects.
Headaches after sex are due to the dilatation of the blood vessels that occurs with arousal. If you have not had it before, I am not sure why you are having it now.
You should have your haemoglobin checked and probably start on iron. Also the reason for the low level will need investigation.