Question
Posted by: Jamie | 2009/08/26

Questions

I am 5 weeks preggies after IVF. I have had on and off mild stomach ache for the past week of so not spotting or anything. Is this normal? I heard tummy aches are normal during week 4. Can a person whos had tubal ligation 13 yrs ago and fallen pregnant have an ectopic pregnancy or not? Thank you

Dear Jamie

Indeed mild abdominal cramps and pain may be a normal finding in early pregnancy. In the case of IVF indeed it may be possible to have an ectopic as the embryos are transferred via the cervix (from the bottom upwards). Therefore depending on how much tube is remaining attached to the uterus an ectopic can well develop.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim