Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2011/02/23

Question on meds

Doc,

I have been taking Stillnox/Noxidem and 25mg Trepeline and 5mg Cipralex for more than 2 years now, every night.

I have " pump head"  depression due to Open Heart Surgery in 2008. I am 35 yrs old. I went to Psyciatrist and asked for advice on how to come off the sleeping pills and he suggested that I take 1/2 a Noxidem and add Pur bloka at night. My BP is low (112/70) but my resting heart rate is average 100 b/m. The Gastro Ent. said NO to the Pur bloka as I have Barrets Esophagus due to a LES that is hypotensive. He suggested that I try Molypaxin.

Now I don''t know what to do. Both of these Specialists are in another City and not easy to get to.

Should I ask GP for script and try Molypaxin?

I am doing fine on the 5mg Cipralex, but I can not sleep at night, due to acid reflux (and I have tried everything from eating less and sleeping elevated. I just have bad reflux and I don''t want the surgery).

Please help.

A lowish BP such as you mention is often considered excellent, and might be seen in healthy athletes.
Purbloka is I think Propranolol, a beta-blocker, which helps some folks with anxiety, not so much for reducing the psychological FEELINGS of anxiety, but for calming the physical symptoms of anxiety. But the Bastroenterologist knows about Barrets, and his advice on not taking this makes sense.
Molypaxin is an AD, which can help depression and anxiety, and some people find it helps them to sleep, too.
Presumably the psychiatrist who sugested reducing the Noxidem to 1.2 tab at night was planing that you reduce the dose, and eventually stop it.
Some people do experience insomnia on Cipralex, so, as long as they don't have cariac or gastric concerns, maybe the molipaxin might help better in that regard. And a Gp can of course prescribe it

1