Question
Posted by: Lost Child | 2010/01/26

Question on Hypnotherapy and if it would help

HI Cybershrink

I am diagnosed with mild depression and aslo with the condition where the past events of my childhood ' controls'  my ability to be able to ' love'  and function as a positive person.

I also find it difficult to remember things of my childhood and to make decisions for the future. I had turned down many relationships due to my ' fears as a child and the inability to love' .

I' m also very sensitive and moody at times and find it difficult to control my anger if provoked. I also take critisim literally and am a very serious person. I used to have a good sense of humor but lately it is extinct.

I would like to know if Hypnotherapy would be able to help me overcome my fears, help with my memories, as well as deal with my grief / sadness and help shape me into someone filled with happiness, confidence and the ability to love someone, as I still don' t understand what it means to be loved...?

You do NOT need to "remember" the events of your childhood, for any reason. Most of us remember little or nothing from the earliest years, simply because our brain apparatus for remembering isn't functioning properly yet.
And if we have been subject to real trauma, we remember it. As even Freud recognized, after trauma we suffer from memories, NOT from lack of them.
There is not a shred of evidence that pushing someone to remember what might have existed is of any benefit to them, and lots of evidence that the methods used, including hypnosis, in these circumstances, can cause serious harm.
"Memories" are not a problem unless you have been convinced by people who profit by marketing quack methods for "recovering" them that this is supposed to be a problem.
What IS a real problem which can indeed be helped is whatever you currently experience as problematic, about emotions, behaviours, assumptions, habits, and relationships. And for that the bulk of the evidence is in favour of CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, as the best available current method for dealing with these issues.
Self-esteem and self-confidence, handling grief and anxiety, and so on, are exactly matters which CBT deals with well.
Ster clear of methods which are over-advertised by self-serving sellers, and stick to mmethods accepted by wide professional consensus and actual evidence of effectiveness. Like CBT

1