Posted by: Sad Mommy | 2008-11-17

Question : dont want to cause a fight!

If you try to or actually kill someone its murder right??

So why is suicide any different? You taking a life.

Yes, you can argue its YOUR life, but then why is assisted suicide illegal as well, if YOU have expressed YOUR desire to die?

Now what about the poor soul who is schitzo? If he/she not committing murder as they " sane"  part of them wants to live?

Just curious.

I'm old. Really old. So I can remember back in the early 1960's in Britain, when suicide was still a crime --- and they'd send a policeman to sit at the bedside waiting for someone who'd attempted suicide to wake up. It took a long time for it to dwan on them that if someone really wants to be dead, the equivalent of a parking fine if they failed, wasn't really likely to deter them.
There was a stage when it was argued that basically we all belong to God, so in killing ourselves or trying to do so, we were harming HIS property. And suicide has indeed been seen at times as self-murder. But its not really useful to play semantic games ; the question is : it happens. What is the best thing to do about it ?
And I think pat of the concern about assisted suicide, is that if it were legal, it could be misused by people who bumped off auntie for the inheritance, claiming to have been merely "assisting' her

Posted by: anon | 2008-11-18

Ag Rikka, these people just don' t get your point.... don' t even bother replying, as my mom always used to say "  none so def as those who will not hear" 

Reply to anon
Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-17

Rikka so you' re saying that unless you' ve got a medically confirmed label there cannot be anything seriously wrong with you?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Rikka | 2008-11-17

He said he' s gay, that' s IT. He doesn' t have Bipolar, Scizo or anything!

Reply to Rikka
Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-17

Rikki, I dont think he is stupid, I think he wanted to know the corresct dose he would have to take to kill himself. I dont consider myself stupid but I dont know how much and what pills would work best. Sad Mommy,Yes, life is a gift. Unfortunately when you have a disease of the mind (depression etc) then you are not thinking with all sanity at hand. Please be understanding. To you it may seem selfish, and yes it is in so many ways but this person may be suffering and doesn' t know how to get better. Remember that people are different and we all wish we could be stronger so we wouldnt get to the point of wanting to kill ourselves.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: RIkka | 2008-11-17

Sad Mommy,
I see this suicide thing has gotten a lot of people very charged up. I ended that conversation with a summary of how I feel about this situation.
You are welcome to read it, or not, either way, I was never telling the fool to kill himself, as he already stated that he is going to, and that nobody should try convince him otherwise. I feel that there is a definate search for sympathy on his behalf, he posted his rediculous question in a couple of places. He NEVER stated that he has any disorders, Bipolar, Manic Depression or anything of the sort.
Now, if you were going to commit suicide, why post the rediculous request for " how to"  information in the first place?? We ALL know what can and can' t kill you, unless you are retarded, which puts you at a totally different site - definately not CyberShrink.
That and everything else I wrote, is MY OPINION, and I am ALLOWED my own opinion.
Just like I can' t convince someone who hates cabbage, that it tastes like heaven, nobody can try and convince me to feel any other way about that fool' s posting.
I hope you have a wonderfull day, or what is left of it.

Reply to RIkka
Posted by: Sg | 2008-11-17

You are on a bit of a roll here Sad Mommy.I have to say that I personally symphathise with anyone that has lost a child or has to go through a chronic illness with a child.I have had to and I nearly died myself.
However,I also believe that depression is a serious illness and whilst it is difficult to understand suicide,one must accept that when one can no longer cope the mind takes over and suicide can and does result ( the more than 60 individuals that have jumped off the bridge near PE must have had major problems)
All we can do is help these individuals as best we can because there is always light at the end of the tunnel,as hard as it might appear at times.

Reply to Sg
Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-17

One can argue this questions on moral, ethical, legal, logical grounds... but in the end perhaps the best thing to do is to show some compassion for people who become so desperate that suicide appearst to be the only option. You could see them as very brave or as cowardly, depending on your own personal point of view. I don' t think that makes much difference though to what would, or would not, be a useful response.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Anonym | 2008-11-17

When shizo you just do what the voice tells you to do and you think by yourself it will be great cause you' ll be by God and is the only one who loves you and don' t want to harm/kill me cause he created me, and it feels like the right thing to do but I don' t think so now.

Reply to Anonym
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-17

LOL sad mommy, I hear you