Question
Posted by: kitty | 2008/07/10

question BOUT WORKING OUT AND WEIHGTS

IS IT BETTER TO RUN BEFORE YOU LIFT WEIHGTS OR AFTER?

Hi Kitty

No major difference for most of us. There are cases, in people who are training with very specific requirements (elite athlete types, who are trying to simulate fatigue or strengthen fatigued muscles) where the order matters, but for general purposes, not a major difference in terms of result.

There is however a preferred order for practical reasons. Generally, you would do the weight training on warmed up muscles, which means you'll do some cardio first - it needn't be long, maybe 10 minutes. Then weights, and usually a short cardio session to finish is also preferred. That's optional, obviously, and if you're doing only two, my advice would be to do the cardio first, weights second. Again, that's not cast in stone, there's no reason why you can't swop them. One word of caution, just remember that whatever you do FIRST causes FATIGUE for what you do SECOND. Therefore, don't overdo the first session and then compromise the second one - you can't, for example, do a super hard cardio session and then expect to have a constructive weight session after it.

1
Posted by: liems | 2008/07/11

I definitely agree with fitnessdoc. I've tried all the orders you could possibly think of when doing my training. It works best for me to do a light-medium cardio session, then do harder weight training and then end off with a harder cardio session than the first time. If I want to work harder on the weights, I slack down a bit on the cardio.

Reply to liems