Question
Posted by: Jamie | 2008/08/06

Question about safe use of sex toys

I' m quite new to the gay world and have sort of started dating a guy. I was amazed by how into sex he is and also the fact that he is almost exclusively a " bottom" . I' ve always gotten a little enjoyment from anal stimulation, but I' m not particularly excited by it. This guy on the other hand, loves being penetrated and seems to be willing to do it every day if possible, even if his -|- is completely ignored.

Well lately I' ve been thinking about experimenting with sex toys, especially if I am unable to keep up with him. So I was wondering if you can maybe give me some general advice on the safe use of sex toys, especially w.r.t. what feels good for guys, and also to try to answer the following questions in the process: What types of toys are popular/fun? Is there a limit to the length/thickness of the toy, and if so, what is a good size with which to start and what is the " maximum safe range of sizes" ? What are the dangers of using one, (diseases/physical damage etc)? Could there be any problems of using one on him for, say, an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening every day? How about wearing a " buttplug"  for, like, the whole day (while he is at work for example)? Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,
Jamie
x

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. A great response from Johnny_Bravo and I have little to add, except this: using toys is not kin to developing a practice schedule for some form of sport - an hour of stretching, 20 minutes of warm-up and then 3 hours of hard training. Don't try to structure sex in any way - it's about sensual and erotic pleasure, sharing and being playful and impulsive.

Why are you sounding so uptight? R E L A X and rather try to have fun!

1
Posted by: Johnny_Bravo | 2008/08/06

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the GLB forum. I hope that you will enjoy ur visit. To answer ur question ' bout the different toys.....There are many to choose from. Why not maybe try a double-ended dildo? Me and my partner love playing with ours :-P

Other popular toys for us are buttplugs, beads, -|- -rings and latex gloves. Your local " Adult World"  store, or any other adult shop will stock a variety of toys. Normal vibrators can also be enjoyable.

It' s better to start with a toy that is not too big. Rather start small and work your way up. Sometimes you can purchase sets of toys that include different sizes of one specific toy, ie. buttplugs (small, medium, large).

As far as safety is concerned, remember to wash all your toys with warm soapy water before and after use. It' s also fun to use your toys in the bath or shower... :-P For extra peace of mind you can use condoms on the dildo' s too.

Most important - always use lots of lube. Make sure that you take your time when it comes to the insertion of the toys into your (or your partner' s) rectum.

I personally have used a butt-plug the entire day without any side-effects....(except for too much stimulation on the prostate when sitting down, causing the " pistol-in-my-pocket-syndrome) :-D

Just remember to take it slow, have fun, and in no time you will discover which toys you and your partner enjoy most.

Take care.

Reply to Johnny_Bravo