Question
Posted by: Wilma | 2010/06/14

Question about anticogulant

My mother recently had a stroke and was prescribed Clopidogrel-Winthrop by her doctor. He told her that it is her choice whether she should take it or not, as it puts her at a high risk of ''bleeding''. She also has a defective heart valve, hypertension and diabetes.

Do you think Clopidogrel-Winthrop is advisable for her? Are there alternatives that may be less risky? Please advise as the ''doctor'' went on holiday and is not available for the next three weeks.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Wilma

Anticoagulant plays an important role in patients such as your mother and may prevent future strokes. Clopogrel (Plavix was the originator product) is, in my opinion one of the better options.

Another option would be good (or is that bad?) old warfarin - Mon should just make sure to have her PI levels checked often to ensure optimal safety.

Good luck!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/06/15

Hi Wilma

Good luck!

Reply to pharmacist