Question
Posted by: Lona | 2013/01/09

Question

I recently met a guy who is showing interest in me and I suspect he is far younger than I am , though he appears matured. Part of me,I somehow have a challenge with dating a younger person ( I don''t know about him and I want to know his view) . I want to inform him of my age in order to test his reaction. How best can I do and express this., maybe texting????.

It can be a valid concern to hesitate to date someone you don't really know at all ( and not even knowing his approximate age would count as that ). But I find many people come to the forum deeply worried about "the major age diference" when their partner is 3 or 5 years wounger or older. What matters is social and psychological maturity. OK, where the diference is in decades, there can be other problems worth considering carefully.
I dont really see how telling him your age is much of a test, especially if done by text (!) where you won't be able to see his expression and body language, and will only get a return text which he may have asked someone else to write ! It'd be like choosing to speak to him in person, but only in pitch darkness.
Meet for coffee, chat about yourself and himself, saying that you'd like to get to know a bit more about him, interests, jobs, ages, view of the future, can be part of such a chat.