Question
Posted by: Tammi | 2010/05/27

Question

Hi Doc. I read some query some time ago re a patient who had an e-mail relationship with their shrink. Is it unacceptable to have that? I occassionally pop off a question or 2 and sometimes I get a reply " speak about this at our next session"  but not much more. Is there an ethical prohibition about e-mails with your patient?

This is as yet undefined territory. Mostly, people would not know the e-mail address of their shrink. I can imagine a shrink properly providing that e-mail address for use in emergencies, just as I have very rarely over the years givien my personal phone number to people in crisis and for use only in emergencies, and so far they have always respected and never abused this provilege.
Shrinks deserve time off, too !
Questions that arise are always bes deal with in a session, where there can be proper discussion, anyway
The problem in the case earlier discussed here, as I recall, was that the Shrink was abusing the e-mail correspondence for getting personal and amorous with the patient, whih is ALWAYS improper, however the improper commnication is communicated

1

Shrinks deserve time off, too !