Posted by: Pardon ! ? ! | 2009-09-07

Query re head injury.

Dear Dr. I would appreciate your comment &  advice on the following: My husband recently had a blackout after coughing and not being able to breathe. (That in itself needs to be investigated s it has happened before, whiilst standing... this time it happened after he stood up suddenly and puts it down to circulation.) In any event he fell face down onto a tiled floor.... as a result of this he had a very bad heamatoma in his eye... this has now eventually settled down and the bleeding/ bruisingetc has improved dramatically and an Ophthmologist has examined his eye.... all seems to be in order!... no eye damage as the skull/bone structure of his face took the hard blow. My question now is
He is complaining of ringing in his ear/s....and I notice that he turns up the sound of TV or car radio very loudly..... (He has always been a little hard of hearing but nothing like this and certainly no ringing in the ears. Where do I start? Do I take him to a GP? and ENT person? We are not on medical aid and all the visits to various medical people is becoming a nightmare!.... so would like to take him to the correct medical person for an assessment. Thank you for your time. .

Dear Pardon
Deafness and tinnitus ( ringing in the ears) go hand in hand. First take him for a hearing test and then to an ENT specialist. For the Blackouts while coughing he needs to see a physician to exclude any heart problems ( it is called Cough Syncope)