Posted by: Zia | 2012-01-26

Quality of frozen embryos after a year

I had ivf in 2010, which was succesful. I had 3 embryos frozen in 2010 during that ivf cycle. It was at the end of May 2010.

Can those embryos still be used at this stage, if i chose to try again? Would the quality of the eggs have drastically deteriorated since then? Are there any potential disadvantages to freezing embryos? Could freezing for a long term result in birth defects if such an embryo successfully implants &  results in a pregnancy?

I would also like to know what would be the procedure this time around to prepare for embryo transfer. Would there be a lot of injectables, and which ones would one most likely use? I was on the long protocol ivf treatment previously.

Please advise.

Dear Zia

In general the quality of embryos is not affected by the duration or the length of freezing. The quality is affected by the freezing process itself and the thawing process per say. In general frozen embryos are of a lower quality in implantation potential than fresh embryos and therefore pregnancy rates are definitely slightly low than fresh cycles. Since these pregnancy rates are dependent on the initial quality of the embryos as well as operator dependent, it is difficult to say what would happen in your particular instance. As far as the protocol is concerned this is entirely dependent on your gynaecologist and also on whether your natural cycle is regular and normal.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim