q. abt neutered jack russell

Dear cybervet. I have a male jack russell terrier that was neutered about a yr ago. He had a descended testicle in his abdomen, and one in his scrotum. The vet removed both. Was it necessary? Could he not have left his testicle in his scrotum? thanks

Dear Anon

The testis in the abdomen had to come out as it can become cancerous if left inside. The abdominal temperature is to high for a testis. The other tesits could have stayed if you preferred that option.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-28

A neutered dog is safer than an unneutered one - he will be much less likely to roam, and he is now protected from various illneses.

Reply to Chill

Thanks Doc. It saddens me that, having left the decision up to the vet as to whether to leave or remove the testicle, he took it out of Patchs scrotum. Im nt an expert, and didnt knw betr then, but he should have made betr decision. thanks