Posted by: Lina | 2011-09-06

Pytiriasis rosea

I was diagnosed with Pytiriasis rosea about a week ago. The doctor said my cold was because of the skin condition. The doctor also told me that there is nothing he can give me and I should just wait it out. The rash has since gotten much worse and itches terribly. I also cannot get rid om my cold. Will my cold last the entire duration of the rash? How can I relieve the symptoms of the condition? Is there really no medicine to make this condition better?

Pityriasis rosea is related to viral infections and your doctor is correct in saying that there is no real treatment for this condition. It normally resolves by itself within 4 to 6 weeks. You can however, use oral antihistamines and topical steroids to decrease the itching. You can ask your pharmacist for this, as it is available over the counter.