Question
Posted by: Adelle | 2010-08-27

Pyoderma / chin acne

My 9-month old Weimaraner cross has been diagnosed with Pyoderma / chin acne. He has sores under his chin that sometimes bleed. What causes this and what treatment is best? He''s currently on antibiotics.
Thanks!

Hi Adelle

Chin acne generally occus in short haired dogs and starts when blackheads (comodomes) or papules are noted on the chin and lips. These lesions can become infected and lead to the development of pus filled pustules. No one knows what causes this condition but it has been postulated that it is a combination of genetics/hormones/trauma.

Treatment;
a)Antibiotics
b)Benzyl peroxide/hibitane washes
c)Steroid based creams to reduce the irritation

3
Posted by: Adelle | 2010-08-31

Thanks CyberVet and Chill for your comments - much appreciated.

Reply to Adelle
Posted by: Chill | 2010-08-27

My dog had something like this as a youngster too - not too serious, but noticeable.

I used to dab the area with antiseptic (I used betadine, but hibitane would do the trick) and then put tiny little dots of bactroban onto the worst bumps.

If it''s any consolation, it all cleared up as the dog matured, and we haven''t had a single problem since.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-08-27

Hi Adelle

Treatment;
a)Antibiotics
b)Benzyl peroxide/hibitane washes

Reply to CyberVet