Posted by: Very puzzled | 2009-07-24

Puzzling Blood Pressure

Hi Doc,
Have been on BP tabs for 10 years and took it without fail. Have been obese the last 15 years but have no other medical issues, no diabetes (tested regularly) etc, is not very active and eat normally is 48 years old. Last year my doc decided to increase the BP tab dosage as his reading was high. As I had just had a very unpleasant incident with his receptionist, I asked him to give it a minute and check again. He refused, and said the higher dosage is correct. Took the pills and felt dreadful. Bought a BP monitor and tracked it daily. Put myself back on lower dosage and felt better but still tracked it. Then started reducing even that. Have now not used BP medication for more than a year, check my BP at least three times a week (different times of the day) and once a month the nurse checks and it is ALWAYS below 120/75, mostly around the 114/ 70 mark. How does it happen that your BP just sorts itself out?????

It does happen and if you want a second opinion, you will have to have a 24 hour ambulantory blood pressure monitor test done. This will give a clear indication of what your blood pressure is doing during the day, as well as the night.