Question
Posted by: Sue | 2009-08-27

Puzzled

I' m a 46-year-old woman and have had normal, stable weight for most of my life. In the past six months, however, I' ve just exploded! My eating and exercise habits haven' t changed, so I' m not sure what the reason could be. I eat fairly healthily and have cut down on eating even more to try and shed the weight but I continue to gain weight.

The initial onset of weight gain was most probably because I was on medication at the time which is known to cause weight gain. But I haven' t been on it for months and still continue to gain weight.

Can this be related to my age or anything?

Please help - I don' t have anymore clothes to wear!

Dear Sue
Certain medications (e.g. female hormones, corticosteroids, some antidepressants, etc) can cause weight gain, but if you have stopped using the medication for more than 2 months then this should no longer be causing additional weight gain. Other factors that could be playing a role are hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin and/or female hormones) (ask your dr to check these hormones to see if you have a thyroid deficiency, or insulin resistance, or if you are entering the menopause), and psychological factors (of these depression usually has the most dramatic effect on weight gain or loss depending on the patient). Discuss this possibility with the dr too. Getting older is associated with the gain of approx. 0,5 to 1 kg per year, which does not sound like the weight gain you are experiencing.
So ask your dr to check your hormones and possibly send you for an assessment to see if you are depressed.