Question
Posted by: pregnant and starving | 2009-08-05

putting on weight

Hi Diet doc,
thanks once again for your advise regarding eating and pregnancy. I have gained 3kg' s since I found out I was pregnant. I have not been going to gym either as often as I should but plan to go more regularly. I was wondering if this weight gain this far is too much or okay? I am now nearly 9 weeks now.
Thanks for your advice,

Dear Pregnant and Starving
Basically women who commence their pregnancy with a normal weight and BMI are expected to gain between 12 and 16 kg during the 9 month period. This works out to about 1,3 to 1,7 kg per month. At 9 weeks one would expect a gain of about 2,25 x 1,3 = 2,9 kg which is very close to what you have gained, so please don't stress about your weight gain or your hunger. When you go to the gym please be careful not to overexert yourself because this could harm the baby. In fact, I think you should first check with the dr who is overseeing your pregnancy if you are allowed to exercise or not, and to also ask what type of exercise is recommended.