Question
Posted by: Pam | 2008/08/08

Putting down dog??

My Dalmation was diagnose with diabetes and are on 2 insulien injections daily. she has also been diagnosed with a pancreas sickness. According to the vet het pacreas is " dying" . she had an operation about 1 month ago becuase het intestines " turned" ?? After which she was on a special diet.

She is very skinny and the vet advised us to give her pig pancreas to eat twice per day. This we gave het for the pas +- 3 weeks. Now it looks like she is getting blind aswell. We have spend R10 000 on her for the operation,treatments,insulien and diet and there is no improvement in het health.

Everyone (friends, family) tell us to put her down, but she is part of the family! How can we do this? At the moment she is not doing well at all, she has no balance, vomits het food, drinks litres of water. What else can we do to help her? Do you think she is suffering? How do you feel about putting her down?

Dear Pam

Diabetes or Pancreatic insufficiency on its own is treatable wit a good success rate. If these two occur together the treatment gets trickier. Diabetes causes the lens of the eye to go white (cataracts). Eye vets can remove these if the dogs gets totally blind but only if the diabetes is stable. The fact that your dog is drinking a lot, getting blind are signs that the diabetes is not well controlled. Artificial pancreas powder is also available that may work a bit better than the pig pancreas. Warming the food with the enzymes in also helps with digestion.

Your dog wil need to be hospitalised for a while to stabilize the diabetes. The cost and commitment that you now face is massive and with a uncertain outcome. Seek the advice of a internal medicine expert if you decide to go ahead with treatment, may save you time and money in the long run. If your dog is older than 10, the outcome is even more uncertain.

Good luck.

3
Posted by: m | 2008/08/19

Contact dr at ecovet dot co dot za. he pulled a dog through that was suffering with its kidneys. mabe alternative meds can help.

Reply to m
Posted by: RL | 2008/08/11

If her quality of life is deteriorating, and you have done everything you can to make her as comfortable as possible but there is little, if any, chance of improvement, it is in her best interests to put her to sleep. I would think that by what you have said that she is going through that she is suffering &  it must be hard watching her battle through evey day. It' s the hardest decision to make but you have to think of what' s best for her &  not for you or the family. If you choose to keep her going, you may find her having a fit one day, or a reocuring bout of ' colic'  (when her intestines turned) &  there will be no other alternative that putting her down. Then you have to live with the thought and guilt that you could have done something sooner.

Reply to RL
Posted by: B | 2008/08/08

Hi Pam, I resently had to put my cat to sleep after 16 years. As hard as it is, think what is best for your " girl"  and not you, is she living the life that she should? If she does get better...... would she have the same quality life she had before she got sick?
You say doesnt have any balance, how would you feel if you don' t have balance, can' t eat?
Deep down you know what is the best for her.
Personaly I will put her to sleep.....

Reply to B