Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2009/12/02

Put on weight after 10 days of BFL?

Hi There

I' m female with a BMI of 29, and I started BFL 10 days ago in order to lose fat, gain muscle and tone. I used to have BMI of 23 before first baby 4 years ago, but it creeped up to a whopping 29. I have done BFL before (about 3 years before baby), but then I was quite fit already, and I lost fat beautifully and got some very nice muscle definition. This time round, now that I am unfit and ' round' , I have gained 1 kg the past 10 days! I am not happy about that. Could if be all muscle? I did not take measurements, so I can' t say for sure whether I lost any cm' s yet, doesn' t feel like it though. Will it take longer this time for my weight to come down? Am I in too much of a hurry to see results? or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Racoon

That's not too unusual. 1kg is not that major a gain anyway, and even the time of day that you measured the weight can affect it - a meal and a drink compared to none can swing it by 600 grams easily. The scale is also important - if it's not calibrated, then you're out by a long way, so you have to be careful about how you measure it. That's why I would only suggest a weighing once a month (though you can obviously monitor it much more, but just don't read too much into it) and always the same way.

Next, gaining weight is pretty normal - your plasma volume can rise (literally, your body makes more blood) and your muscle mass can go up. I suspect it's too early for the muscle, but certainly the plasma volume rise by even 500ml can explain the change. So I wouldn't worry about it just yet. if by the end of December, you're still up there, then it's time to look at it more closely.

Bear in mind that you may well eat more now that you're training - subconsiously or not, your body needs more energy and if you don't manage how you provide it, you'll struggle to lose weight as well. So diet is very important, especially now that December is approaching and there will be a tendency to eat more. My advice is to spend the next four weeks getting fitter, and not worry too much about the scale, because of the Christmas factor.

So just give it time and it will come, as long as you stick to sound principles.

Ross

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/12/06

Hi Racoon

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Racoon | 2009/12/03

Body for Life

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: L | 2009/12/03

What is BFL?

Reply to L