Question
Posted by: blossom | 2009-02-04

puricos

i am 52 and have developed arthritis in my right hand. i have also now had trouble sleeping on both sides as my hip and shoulder keeps me awake with the pain. i have been put on 100mg x 1 per day of puricos. is this sufficient?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Blossom

Puricos (Allopurinol) is a medication that is prescribed for the management of high uric acid levels (i.e. gout), not for arthritis. If gout is in fact the reason it was prescribed then the dose is usually higher (400mg / day in divided doses), however your prescribing physician may well have had a good reason for using this dose in your case.

My suggestion would be to secure a proper diagnosis for the pain you are experiencing (is it gout or arthritis) to ensure that you are infact taking the correct medication.

Kevin