Posted by: sasha | 2009-04-07

pure bred puppy

Hi There,

Hope you can help me, i am looking for a golden labrador puppy, female, i want a fully pure bred pup, what things can i look for on a labrador pup to make sure that it is pure bred? like i know in chows you look at their toungue if it is purple its pure bred. Then can you also tell me if a labrador female is more agressive than a male? and how much should i be paying for these pups? i dont want it to be registered i just want a good family dog

Dear Sasha

Please contact the Labrador club or a similar organisation. They usually can not stop talking about their own breed and will give you more info than you asked for.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-07

Mandi and WR are quite right. It is completely unnecessary to pay a fortune for a pedigreed dog since this is absolutely no guarantee that it will not show any bad behaviour - this is mostly a function of upbringing, not of breeding.

Getting a pup from a rescue organisation has another advantage - they are as keen as anyone to ensure the future happiness of their protegees, so they' ll have sussed out the dogs/pups and will certainly not recommend an inherently unsuitable one to any potential adopters.

Either way, puppy school is essential, both for the pup and the owners, if they' re not experienced dog-raisers.

As a matter of interest, the colour of a chow' s tongue is also no absolute guarantee of its pedigree....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-04-07

I just want her to understand that cute puppies become big dogs. You often hear about people who buy labs because they are so cute and cudly and then they land up at the SPCA because they keep digging up the garden, or chewing the garden hose, or bark.

And the movie which I mentioned might be a bit over-kill, but it gives a pretty good idea of what potential pet owners are letting themselves in for. At least until the Lab is around a year old.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: WR | 2009-04-07

Geez Mandi - It takes SOME effort, time and love to raise a pup. If I' vee never done it before - and you told me all this I would' ve turned to cats... or fish.

Before you go out and by a Lab because they are lovely and friendly etc.... consider this: MOST dogs will be sweet and lovely and happy if raised and treated propeerly. You should REALLY consider getting a medium breed dog from Wet Bose/ SPCA that is still young, take it to training classes and in that way you' ll raise a happy, healthy, friendly puppy.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-04-07

Before you buy a Lab, watch Marley and Me. Any Lab who is not trained and stimulated enough will turn into Marley " the worst dog in the world" . So you have to be prepared to put in a lot of effort, time and love.

The only way you can be sure that the dog is pure, is to buy a registered pup.
Also, don' t go to a back-yard breeder, because you might get a pup which is the result of poor breeding practices.
You will probably be looking at around R2000 for a registred pup. You get people who charge R700 or R800 a dog, but those are your typical puppy-mill people.

As far as the aggressiveness is concerned - any dog which is not trained and socialized properly, will probably become aggressive. So, you will seriously need to invest in some puppy training classes, espesially considering that Labs are such intellegent dogs and can become little devils if not handled properly.
Males aren' t more aggressive, just more boisterous.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: sasha | 2009-04-07

No, i dont want a dog that is bred with something else and i dont know wht it is and it turns out to be agressive when it is fully grown!!!

Reply to sasha
Posted by: WR | 2009-04-07

What you are asking is like saying you want to buy a Expensive car - but one that only behaves like one, but you don' t want the papers.
Go to kusa dot co dot za - look at the breed standards, and contact them for registered breeders.

Reply to WR