Posted by: Phoebe | 2009-01-15

Puppy' s itchy bum

We got two 7 week old -|- er spanier puppies on Monday and they have had their first vaccinations (on the Saturday) but the one keeps scartching her bum along the grass. I know they were dewormed as well, but this seems like she' s still got them. How long does it take for the worms to leave?
She' s not distressed, but she soemtimes does it on the tiles and it looks kinda painful then!
It' s been 5 days since she was given the deworming meds. What should i do or am i jsut being paranoid?
Thanks so much!!!

Dear Phoebe

It is likely that the dogs anal glands are full. Take her to the vet for an anal gland expression.

Posted by: George | 2009-01-18

Agree with Chill.
Worms remedy works quite fast - make sure vet gives you a remedy that does ALL worms - tapeworms (flea tapeworm is often seen in small pups), ascarids (roundworms), and hookworms can also be in small pups. Suggested to deworm every 2 weeks, until 12 weeks old, then monthly to 6 months of age, and then every 3 months.Internationally recommended.
Some breeders unfortunately do not deworm early and with the best drug - so pups could have heavy infestation.

Reply to George
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-16

The worm med ' works'  very quickly, so no need to wait - sometimes you need a different med to address different worms.

With all due respect to the CV - I kind of doubt that a 7-week-old puppy has full anal glands. I suspect the CV may read as quickly as he types...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-16

Best to deworm both puppies.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Phoebe | 2009-01-16

Thanks guys - will check it out. The other puppy now also seems tos till have a round, hard tummy which i have heard is a sign of worms. Do you think that maybe the worm med hasn' t worked on him yet?

Reply to Phoebe
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-15

Why not phone your vet - sounds like worms to me, some worms are fairly stubborn and he may give you another dewormer to catch the stragglers...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-15

She may just have a dirty bum ... give her bottom a gentle clean with a gentle soap .

Reply to Carol