Posted by: Ebony | 2009-03-28

Puppy' s hair problem

Hi I have an awesome black spaniel pup. She is 9 weeks old. Very lively and happy. The last week I have noticed her ears are getting curly and her coat is really shiny. But on her back her hair is dull and kind of like a teddy-bear' s hair after a few washes. Not as silky and flowing and shining as the rest of the hair. Now she did have some fleas (
centered on her back) and I washed her with cat/kitten tick an flea shampoo( it was what I had at hand) and combed the hair with a very fine comb and powdered her with Kyrox tick an flea powder. After a week the fleas were back and I repeated the treatment. Could the combing have caused her hair to be like this, or the shampoo? Also I dry her off with my hairdryer, on mild.Or was it the fleas because they were very bad when I got her. (just over 3 weeks ago, I bathed her once a week). There were even white egglike thingies deep inside her coat, the poor pup. Or could it be that she is getting a new coat for the winter? Ig something is wrong with her coat,how do I improve this? She does not want to eat bobtail puppy pellets anymore, she prefers eating what we eat. I am going to buy her puppy shampoo and bob martins. Her next vaccination is only the 10th of April. Please kindly advice me on a)what is wrong and b)how to cure it and c)can I use frontline on such a young pup? As she still has fleas!! (And she is an inside dog, I think my house is now infested too!!) Thanks so so much.

Dear Ebony

Fleas, fleas fleas. Go to a vetshop or vet and sort it out.

Posted by: Ebony | 2009-04-07

This is just an update. I took my pup to the vet, he was not in as he does not come to our town everyday, but at the vetshop I got
revolution'  it is like frontline and costs the same, but it is specially for the younger pups. Works great. Also my little pup is now eating, Science plan, and Vet' s choice, to see wich she prefers. (There are 2 other brands, will test them all in time) Great foods, does not really cost more than other supermarket foods, because you measure out the amounts your pup eats. And it is worked out according to their weight.It has everything a puppy needs, scientifically worked out. Oh and her coat on her back is shiny again!

Reply to Ebony
Posted by: Murtle | 2009-04-01

When i bought my puppy home she was full of fleas. I took her to the vet and they sprayed some frontline on her , gave her some kind of capsule. Within a couple of hours all the fleas were dead. That was two weeks ago and still no fleas. The vet gave me a tube of advantage which I can put on her neck as soon as I see fleas. When I took her to the vet she was only 6 weeks old

Reply to Murtle
Posted by: Ebony | 2009-03-30

Thank you everyone. I phoned the vet and they say puppies from 8 weeks old onward can have frontline. So I am off to buy some now. Yes Chill, my puppy has been dewormed twice and vaccinated once already and the next vaccination is 10 April. I am going to check out the puppy foods at the vet too! thanks again all!

Reply to Ebony
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-28

I totally agree with Carol. Frontline costs a bit more but it works, and bathing your puppy is unnecessary and is more likely to have an adverse effect.

She also has puppy fluff - relax, there is absolutely nothing wrong.

I hope she' s had her vaccinations and has been dewormed?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-28

Firstly stop bathing your puppy you are ruining the natural oils she has...

Secondly get her onto a better quality puppy food . And no table scraps you are going to land up with a very fussy dog!

Im not 100% sure but I imagine she is shedding her puppy coat and is now also getting ready for her winter coat.

All that will be needed is a good brushing , and proper food and she will be fine.

You can also use frontline.

Reply to Carol