Posted by: Sally | 2013-01-22

Puppy with mild diarrhea

I have a 13 week old Golden retriever, he has had 2 of his vaccines and are due for the third within the next week.

I took him out for a walk on Friday and as puppies do - he picks up and eats a number of things before I can stop him.

For the past two mornings he waked up and before he could wake me like he normally does to go out, he had an accident of mild diarrhea. He also seems to have a really bad gas problem to be honest.

He is eating his food as usual (Royal Canin Retriever Lab puppy) and is still very much playful. Should I be worried about his sudden mild diarrhea over the past few days?

Dear Sally. There are a number of things that can cause a acute diarrhea including parasites, ingestion of a foreign object, viral infection or his diet. It is important that you keep a close eye on him as puppies can get much sicker much faster than adult dogs. It might be a good idea to take him to the vet for an examination sooner this week!