Question
Posted by: Polka dot | 2009-02-26

Puppy vaccinations

I am getting my first puppy tomorrow. The puppy is six weeks old. I want to find out about the vaccinations. My aunt says she bought all her vaccines from the pharmacy and injected her dogs herself, she has 5 very healthy dogs. They are all grown dogs. I phoned the vet, it costs R300 for the first vaccination, and then 3 weeks later you have to take the puppy again for more. The vaccines from the pharmacy is much cheaper. I dont have a lot of money, I have put a little on the side for the vaccines, but its not that much.. Will it be ok if I buy it from the pharmacy? Are they the same as the ones you get at vet? Is it safe to use? What exactly is in the vaccines, what are the puppies vaccined for?

Dear Polka dot

The vaccination should be the same. They normally have Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Parainfluenza some Corona and Lepto.

If you live near Somerset I know of a vaccination clinic where the vaccs cost about R150.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2009-02-26

We have always done our vaccinations ourselves ... make sure you ask a vet how to do it properly tho.

Reply to Carol