Question
Posted by: lizelle | 2011/09/21

puppy sprained leg muscle?

Hi Dr

Last night my puppy poodle of 5 months jumped off the couch i think (i was in the other room) and i heard her cry out. She was after the cat and i thought the cat took a succesful swipe at her. I loved her and checked her leg. She seemed fine. We all went to bed but this morning i noticed she was not as bouncy as usual and that she was limping. Not putting pressure on her hind leg. i took a look at it and rubbed her leg and found the tender spot but she didnt growl, she made a little noise so i knew i had found the spot. she continued to wag her tail and did not want to bite me when i got to the tender spot. do you think its just a sprained muscle and she needs a bit of rest? or do i need to take her to the vet. She moved around this morning and didnt seem to be in pain but didnt put any weight on her leg either.

Hi Lizelle

If you poodle is non weight-bearing then I advise that you go to your vet for a full clinical, +/- diagnostics and treatment.

Please do not administer any anti-inflammatories without first contacting the vet. Many problems can arise following such trauma and it is important to ensure that there is no displacement/injury to the bones growth plates.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/09/23

Hi Lizelle

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet