Question
Posted by: M. Hibbert | 2011/07/18

Puppy Sleeping Problems

Good Morning

I have a miniature female Maltese poodle about 3 months now. She was born blind but adapted very quickly to her surroundings. I also have a 9 year old female. I thought the old dog will help “ raise”  the puppy but unfortunately that is now not the case. The older one does not really bother with her, they will lay together in the basket but that it. No playing together.

Both of them stay indoors all day, the old dog is completely house trained and the puppy I’ m still trying to potty train. I keep the puppy separate during the day where she can do her business. I take both of them out in the evenings so that they can run around outside for awhile. Unfortunately I can’ t leave the blind puppy alone outside as I do not have a garden of my own but only the gardens of the complex. She does her business outside and during the evenings I take her out regularly after a nap and after she had something to eat. Other than that in the evenings the puppy ran around the flat but still mess where she want without going to the separate area she stays during the day. How can this problem be solved? Is it because she is blind and feel unsure?

Another problem that I have is in the early hours of the morning she begins to bark. I ignore it but need to resolve the problem. Is it because by 03:00 / 04:00 in the mornings she is finished sleeping and want to play or is it that’ s she is cold? I try to keep her awake as late as possible in the evenings so that she can sleep through. The few times I went to pick her up after she started to bark and put her on the bed next to me she slept peacefully. How can I attend to this problem? Will it help putting her basket in my room? But then will she mess again around the room as she is not use to those surroundings? The old dog has her couch where she sleeps and she just refuse to sleep the whole evening next to the puppy. She is to set in her ways by now.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there, having a pup that is blind means thinking a bit more laterally. I would suggest that you get hold of somebody that does Clicker work to help you train your blind dog and build her confidence. Clicker is fantastic by itself but really helps with dogs that cannot see.
Where the toilet training is concerend, I would suggest two options:-
1. Crate train her so that she sleeps in a crate at night and you then control the situation. Crate training is not cruel in any way at all. A dog is a 'den' animal and having a crate whe can go to will help her feel more secure.
2. Train her to have an inside toilet.
I am not going to go into details here as it will take up far too much space, but do have a look at my free www.friendsofthedog.co.za website and you will find comprehensive articles on inside toilet training and crate training in the puppy section which will give you all the info you need.Additionally, read the article on toilet training itself, there are some good hints and ways to go about it in there that you can bring in with the toilet training inside.
If you are not sure how to go about finding somebody to help you with Clicker, just contact me personally and let me know where you live and I will try to put you in touch with somebody. Thks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/19

2. Train her to have an inside toilet.

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert