Question
Posted by: Jo | 2011-05-03

puppy recall

Hi there,
My mom and I each have JR puppies 16 weeks old now and have been training them both together and seperately. We seem to be having trouble with the recall...while my pup returns immediately ( he will do anything for food LOL ) my mom''s pup just ignores her as he is more interested in playing than in food. What can we use to motivate him to return as we like to walk our dogs off lead but can only do this once we can guarantee they''ll come when called?
Thank you for your help,
Jo

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Jo, nice to hear from you and you have what i would term 'double trouble'! They are wonderful little dogs but can try one's patience at times.

What i would suggest is to start feeding him only by hand for about a week. Take his daily allowance and place some in your pocket, some on furniture etc and over the course of a day call him back repeatedly and reward with a few pieces of food. Start this inside the home, then when he is coming every single time start to do outside. As he gets good at it, slowly start to fade the food by way of rewarding one time, then only praise the second time, then reward the 3rd time, slowly fading the reward till he only gets it on occassion to keep him motivated.
There is an article on the Real Reliable Recall on my friendsofthedog website that you may find helpful. You will find the full website address on my CV in this section
Additionally with him, dont always give food, he may prefer toys so teach him how to play with a ball and use that on occassion as his reward instead of food - not all dogs are food motivated.
Good luck and do let me know how you go, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-05-03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert