Posted by: Alex | 2010-02-09

Puppy " bruised" 

Hi everyone.

I hope someone can help me please.

I have a 5 month min Maltese puppy and I noticed this morning that she has what looks like bleeding under the skin under her one armpit going on to her shoulder. Like when you suck your skin, very pink, with little red spots. I have no idea what that could be and it' s quite concerning.

Can anyone please give me some advise about what this could be and if I should be concerned? I did a search on the internet, but no luck!

I appreciate you help very much.

Dear Alex

I have no idea, can be anything. Best to take her to a vet.

Posted by: Alex | 2010-02-16

Wow, Thanx Doc!!!

Much appreciate your advice!

Reply to Alex
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-11

Dear Alex

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Alex | 2010-02-09

Thank you for your reply, Chill.

The mark was definitely not there before. I checked her after she got back from the parlor to see if she had any cuts and I did notice a small nick in her neck, which I was allready annoyed about. This was already over 2 weeks ago. Could she show signs rough handling now?

I play with her all the time and often check her entire body for fleas and I haven' t seen that mark on her before this morning. Later this afternoon I had a look at it again and it was no longer as pink as it was this morning. She is lying sleeping in the couch next to me at the moment and I just had a look is still there, but very faint and not pink, almost a brownish colour, similar to the other ' patches'  on her skin. Like birthmarks. It doesn' t look like ' sucked'  skin anymore.

I do hope it is nothing serious and the fact that it has almost disappeared has put me at ease somewhat. I will keep an eye on it and definitely take her to the Vet if it looks different in the morning.

I hope CV can also give me some advice. Thank you again!

Reply to Alex
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-09

Could the marks have been there longer than just yesterday?

If she was a bit roughly handled while being shaved this could account for it.

See what the Cvet says - but if he takes too long, I know I' d be off to the vet. Subcutaneous bleeding (if that' s what it is) can have several causes, some of them quite serious.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Alex | 2010-02-09

Thanx for your reply, JM.

That' s just the thing, she doesn' t have any fleas or ticks. Her hair is shaved, I had it done about 2 weeks ago and I treat her and my other Maltese for ticks and fleas regularly. It is due to the fact that her hair is so short that I was able to see the ' bruise' . Maybe I am just a paranoid mommy. LOL!!

Will see what the doc says.

Reply to Alex
Posted by: JM | 2010-02-09

It could possibly be an allergic reaction to tics or something, but better wait for the good doctor to reply before you spend lots of money.

Reply to JM