Posted by: SK | 2009-08-05

Puppy maters,

My sister in law and I has both bought us a miniature daschund. Because I have to work during the day, she said she will take care of the puppy during the day. The problem now is that the puppy thinks she is her owner and not me, every time that I call her or want to play with her she runs to my sister in law. I don’ t know how to make the situation better and to let her know that I am her owner and not my sister in law. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dear SK

I get the feeling your sister in law has two dogs and you none.

I have two daxies and I have to tell you that you have a real issue on your hands. Daxies are notorious for becoming "  possesive"  of their owners and it seems your daxie thinks you are not the owner, thankfully i have not had this issue with my two. Have you considered doing what is best for the dog...perhaps giving it to your sister? It seems to me your situation is that YOU are upset and not the' s not about you, it' s about the dog.

get another puppy, when there are 2 together they are fine, just don' t leave anything expensive lying around as they can also be double trouble. When i call mine she runs away and if i ignore her she comes to me. But she knows every night when i come home she goes straight to the fridge and waits for her vienna. So reward her everytime she comes to you and you' ll get her attention

Posted by: SK | 2009-08-05

Hey Daisy,

I am so sad that it happend but what els was I to do, hopefully the puppy will realise with time that I' m her owner and not the other way around.

I personaly think your puppy will ok alone at home just make sure she has some toys and that there is no plase that she can come out.

I have a German Shepard at home and I spotted a few places where she will fit trough.

Reply to SK
Posted by: Daisy | 2009-08-05

Hi SK,

Don' t expect any advice from Cybervet. His response to my concerns about not being home during the day was " If you can' t spend time with your dog during the day, then live without it' .
My neighbour also offered to keep the puppy we are adoopting with her during the days as she is home. After reading you post, I am thinking twice about it.

Reply to Daisy