Posted by: Leandre | 2009-04-06

Puppy - Itching and losing lots of hair

I have got a 8 month old Jack Russel.

We bathe him once a week, because he lives in the house, and sleeps on our bed, so he must be clean. The problem with this is, he has now got a very dry skin because of it, is there anything I can give him or rub onto him, to help ease the dry skin? I was thinking of throwing baby oil in his bath water, but was not sure if this would be safe for him?

We give him Pedegree puppy, and hardly any table scraps. I would just like to know if there is any other vitamins I can give him, to help with the heavy hair loss. I know that the seasons are changing now and that the hair loss is normal, but if he could shed a little bit less hair, it would really be great.

Dear Leandre

Buy a good medical shampoo like Pyoderma and give him Efazol over his food daily.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-06

Without the natural oils in the coat, which you are diligently stripping out with all this bathing, the dog will ironically get dirtier than if you stop bathing him and let his skin and coat do their jobs as they are designed to do.

Also, at 8 months, and being a small dog, he should be graduating onto adult dogfood by now.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009-04-06

Oh I forgot to mention that both dogs have the most divine coats.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Kate | 2009-04-06

I have 2 Jacks and they sleep in my bed.
We go to the beach every weekend and believe me they find the most stinky things to roll in but I NEVER BATH my dogs.
They get a good rinse and if there is something sticky and yucky in their coats I might use a gentle shampoo from my homeopath or gentle pet shampoo but only in the really dirty areas and only if a good rinse does not get it out.

I would suggest you get your dog a nice comfy basket and let him sleep on the floor next to your bed BUT PLEASE STOP BATHING HIM EVERY WEEK.

Reply to Kate