Question
Posted by: Renata | 2010-09-13

Puppy home alone

I have a miniature maltese poodle, he is 14 weeks and a very happy and healthy little boy. My boyfriend often works from home but lately has had to go to the office more and more.
We leave the door open so that he can be inside or in the garden as he pleases.

He has recently started throwing a bit of a tantrum when we go out and cried for about a minute but then stops. We wanted to get him a friend but unfortunately it is against out house rules. Is it ok for him to be alone or can it lead to depression?

he seems ok and happy now, im just worried what will happen when he gets older.

Hi Renata

A 14 week old puppy needs alot of stimulation and training. You have options depending on how long the puppy is left alone. You could possibly take him to puppy day care or employ someone to walk him and socialise him at home. It is also important to keep his environment enriched so that he is mentally stimulated.

3
Posted by: Renata | 2010-09-14

Thanks for the advice, he is definitely entertained while we are away, we have so many toys lying around that our house looks like a kids playground :-) we take him to the dog park about 3 times a week and he is only left home alone maybe twice a week from 8-4pm,so i think he''ll be ok.

Reply to Renata
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-14

Hi Renata

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-09-13

He should be fine, provided you tackle things correctly from right now. First, Google ''dog environment enrichment'' and have a look at the suggestions people have for providing the pup with entertainment while he''s alone.

Second - do NOT make a fuss of him either when you leave, or immediately you come home. This whole ''separation anxiety'' thing which is so trendy is in fact caused by owners inadvertently training their dogs to exhibit signs of distress - the dog cannot distinguish ''comfort'' from ''praise'' - I''m sure you can figure out the rest.

Reply to Chill