Question
Posted by: Jd | 2010/04/01

Puppy eating

About two weeks ago, we bought a boerboel puppy who''s parents are registered. He is now almost 10 weeks old, and not eating so well. He was on Montego puppy when we got him, and he seemed to eat well. About three days after we got him, he had a runny tummy (which I believe was due to milk that I gave him mixed with 2/3 water) He was on goats milk when we got him, so I wanted to gradually introduce him to water.

The runny tummy has since stopped, but he doesn''t like dry pellets. His parents are both champions, and are huge with big heavy bone structures. I am worried that if he doesn''t eat as much, he won''t gain weight properly and be like his parents.

A day after we got him, I treated him with frontline. Caould this have any negative effect on him?

I am currently giving him pellets with a bit of chicken soup poured over and maize meal mixed with a bit of gravey over his pellets.

He weighs 9kg now.

Dear JD

Not the frontline, but stick to a good make of large breed puppy and stop all the other bits that you feed him. You can ad protexin to his diet for a month.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/09

Dear JD

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/01

All he needs is a premium quality puppy food, for large breeds. If he doesn''t like the pellets dry, then soften them with a bit of warm - not hot - water (the ''not hot'' is because you don''t want to dissolve the fat that is in the pellets, and cause it to float on top).

Don''t give him maize meal, etc - it is inadequate nutritionally and every bit he fills up on that is a bit less space for the good quality food he needs.

I wouldn''t think the frontline would have any effect - hopefully you used the spray version made for puppies.

Don''t give him any milk, either - this often causes digestive upsets.

If he''s 10 weeks now, then he should be having his next lot of vaccinations quite soon - take the opportunity to discuss your concerns with your vet.

Reply to Chill