Posted by: Hannah | 2009-06-09

Puppy Crying

Hi Doc,

We recently got a 6 week old labrador, we are trying to teach her to sleep outside where she has a kennel, blankets, shelter etc. I have also put a " doggie jersey"  on her to keep her warm. The problem is that she cries for ages and I' m worried that she' s irritating the neighbors. I know that the only way to teach her to sleep outside is to ignore her as any attention given to her will make her cry more. Do you have any suggestions on how to get her to settle and stop crying during the night?

Dear Hannah

You can try a DAP diffuser in the kennel to try and settle her in. A old alarm clock that still tick is some times helpfull as well as a warm water bottle.

Posted by: Steph | 2009-06-13

Hey hey back off people. i do agree 6 weeks is way too early, but i wonder...does the lab puppy not sleep with the spaniels? I' ve never had " outside"  dogs, but when i got my second pup she was 6 weeks old as well and she just tucked in with my older male dog and they snored the night away in their basket ( albeit in my bedroom)

Hannah I think you' ve been duped by an unscrupulous breeder if they' ve told you 6 weeks is ok to take a pup and have her sleep outside !

Wrt the house training...there are some paper sheets that you can buy at most pet stores, they encourage the dog to wee on them and you just move the paper closer and closer to the back door and outside eventually...worked like a charm for me

Reply to Steph
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-10

6 weeks old ???? Outside ???? sheesh takes all sorts I suppose. :(

Reply to Carol

WEll it looks like people agree with me

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-09

Shelter or not, there is no way on this earth that I would make a 6-week-old puppy sleep outside - even in summer, let alone winter!

As for the crying: if I was your neighbour, you' d have heard from me by the second morning...

Bring the poor pup inside, wait till she' s a bit bigger, wait for decent weather, and then let her acclimatise. Or is the problem the house-training part?

Reply to Chill

Posted by: Hannah | 2009-06-09

Hi Steph, We have had her in an enclosed atrium in a basket at night and outside with 2 other dogs (spaniels) during the day. I supose she needs time to adjust to her new environment and away from her mom and siblings. I would have preferred her to be with her mom until about 8 or 9 weeks but the breeder thought she was ready for her new home.

Reply to Hannah
Posted by: steph | 2009-06-09

Hannah, i do think 6 weeks is really too early. is she alone or with another dog? i think some company will help her. perhaps keep her in a basket near the back door for a few weeks and then move the bed outside gradually?

Reply to steph
Posted by: Hannah | 2009-06-09

Clever response Anonymous, if you read my question properly she has shelter, her kennel (or choice of 3 Kennels!) is in a spare open garage. We also have a covered patio so there is no shortage of shelter for her.

Reply to Hannah

Personally I think 6 weeks is too young to let a dog sleep outside. They still babies and have just been taken away from its mother and siblings. If you have an outside toilet try putting the puppy in there or in your garage.