Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2011/08/12

Puppy crate training

I have been reading up online and it seems like puppy crate training has become a popular option.

Would this work well for a mastiff x alsation? We have a 8 week old puppy.

Any ideas where we can get a reasonably-priced one in Cape Town?

Thanks :)

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lauren, I totally agree abnd am thrilled that crate training is becoming more popular. It is not as people once thought 'cruel', a dog is naturally a den animal and they love having their own crate and it has sooo many advantages.

Unfortunately I dont know any suppliers in Cape Town. I would suggest you try to google it and if you dont come right please contact me via my e-mail and i will put you in touch with people in the Cape that may know.

What I would suggest for you is that you buy the crate size for what your dog will eventually be and just partition it off while a pup.

Have a look on my friendsofthedog website for instructions on how to crate train, plus i will shortly be putting up another article by Dr. Ian Dunbar on same.
Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/12

Thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert