Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-10-30

Puppy books

Firstly a bit of backround about myself, I`ve always had dogs around me when I was growing up we`ve always had dogs at home. But never really purebreed dogs its always been some kind of hybrid. I`m a person who can`t really live in a place without dogs to cut a long story short I`m crazy about dogs. Now for the first time I got myself a purebreed boerboel puppy he is about foru months old now. What this has done because I spent quiet a bit of money on it is make me want to ensure we both enjoy each other`s company and I know as much about dogs as possible. As part of this learning exercise I`ve spent close to R1500 on puppy/dog books. What I want to know are there any that you can recommend. I`ve bought the ff.
The perfect puppy-Gwen Bailey
The Dog Bible
Everything`s Dog obedience
Be the Pack leader by Cesar Millan

I know this might be all a bit too much to start off with but I`ve found some of it to be really fascinating.

Dear Boerboel Owner

My favourite book with a dog on the front cover is 'Disgrace'

Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-11-01

Thanx for the offer Carol but I`m in Bergville

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: Carol | 2008-10-31

Whereabouts in KZN ??? if you are close to me I could help close to Stanger???

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2008-10-31

Look into getting the Cesar Milan DVD' s - very good.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-10-31

Thank you Carol and Chill I would have really liked to take my puppy to dog training classes unfortunately I live in a small town in KZN and even the local vet does not know of any schools in our area hence I`m forever on the net and reading books to try and find what is best for my pup.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: Carol | 2008-10-30

Culture clash is a good one .. just cant remember the author tho.

And the main thing is with a boerboel pup is puppy school .. they can be difficult dogs .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2008-10-30

Unless you want to start a fullscale dog library, I would imagine those books are more than enough!

What you will find is LOADS of information on Google, both about dogs in general, and specific breeds - have some fun playing around with keywords and see what comes up. Just - as is valid no matter what you research on google - remember to evaluate with your own common sense what you find - there are some weird people with weird ideas out there. Most of the info you find will be quite fine - but there are some crazy fanatics!

Also: the best advice I can give is that you go along to puppy classes, and dog training classes once the puppy stuff is finished - it' s very interesting, a lot of fun, and really good for the dog.

Reply to Chill