Posted by: Concerned | 2009-04-16

Puppy Barking in Complex

We got a puppy two days ago and we live in a complex. Is there any way or any advise on how to prevent the puppy to bark the whole day when we are not home?

Dear Concerned

Leaving the puppy the whole day and expecting it not to bark? Wishfull thinking.

Posted by: Steph | 2009-04-20

Chill i am not suggesting that the owner should resign in order to obtain a new pet. What I am suggesting is the owner should arrange to get the new pet when he/she is able to take a few days to settle to pup in. At most a long weekend or 5 days. The owner can then practice leaving the pet at home for brief periods at a time, ie 5 min at first and being sure to reward the pet when the owner returns and the pup is quiet. and gradually building the time from there. pet ownership is all about responsibility, and buying a puppy when you live in a complex, and then leaving it alone all day to howl may well result in the pet having to be re-homed, which is not responsible behavior. the collar is not heavy duty, but merely creates a distraction ie: sight of the spray, sound of the spray as well as smell which will distract the dog by appealing to 3 of it' s senses. when buying a pet, some investment needs to go into settling the pet in.

Reply to Steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-19

C' mon, Steph (and cvet, if it comes to that...) - you surely don' t expect people to resign their jobs whenever a new puppy is on the horizon? With a little effort, most dogs turn out perfectly well adjusted, and don' t bark excessively - this pup has company, and its owner has been advised to provide stimulation as well. Coupled with a bit of training when the people are home, that SHOULD be adequate. If not, then time enough to start with the heavy-duty stuff like citronella collars and stuff.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009-04-19

we' ve used the citronella collar for a while now quite happily and in fact it was recommended to us by a friend who used it on her puppy. our vet was happy to recommend it. the idea is to train the dog from young into healthy habits, not to allow the bad habit to set in and then struggle to break it. the dog will be confused by the sudden signal that you' re sending that barking is now bad, when he' s been allowed to bark up until that point.certanly if the puppy is tiny it' s not a great idea. but then i daresay that cybervet is right on this score. why is a tiny puppy being left alone at home all days sans supervision?

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-18

I really wouldn' t suggest a citronella collar for a little puppy! That' s to break a bad habit in an adult dog - you don' t want to make him neurotic from tiny.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: kirsten | 2009-04-18

you didn' t say how young the puppy is, but he may be a bit young for the citronella collar - they are great training aids, but I don' t think they are advised for puppies under 6 months.

You can order them online, do a search for petsafe anti-bark collars

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: steph | 2009-04-17

you can try a dap diffuser it really works well. the other thing that really works is to be sure to walk the puppy before you go out to work. make sure he has a nice bed and a lot of toys to enterain him. there is also a collar that you can use, you clip it on ONLY when you need to leave him alone. when he barks it will spray some citronella oil which will distract him from that frame of mind. he will soon learn that the collar means no barking, your vet should be able to order one for you.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-17

Careful with those rawhide things. Bits come off - I once got a few of those bone-shaped knotted ones, and it turned out the knots at the end were separate bits. Chokeable on, for sure - since then, I' ve avoided them. Rather use chew hooves, with or without filling.

Funny, I thought the cvet was doing ok lately... he promised to try, and I think he is.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-04-17

Hi Concerned,

Ignore the CV. I sometimes wonder why he is on this forum these days.

Anyway, back to your question:

The first 2 or three days he probably will whine a bit, but he will soon realise that it doesn' t help. The only thing you can do is to make sure he has enough toys to keep himself busy. Raw hides work well and also those rubber kongs which you can fill with canned food and freeze overnight. It will keep both dogs busy for hours.

Maybe you can ask one of your neighbours who are home all day to let you know if he/she barks a lot. That way you don' t have to keep worrying if he/she is barking or not.

Good luck and enjoy him/her! *Sigh* They grow up so fast.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: concerned | 2009-04-16

uhm so must I not work?

and she is not alone, there is an adult dog with her.

Thanks for your help and nasty remarks.....

Reply to concerned