Posted by: Tanja Prinsloo | 2012-06-26

pup symptom

I have 9 pups, 7 weeks old, one euthanised, vet says its hondesiekte, but the symptoms to me show otherwise.
The pup is fine, then all of a sudden starts howling in pain, foaming at the mouth and then the body goes into convultion. are all the pups going to be affected, as the 2nd one has started with the same symptoms?

Hi Tanja

I would have advised that the pup that was euthanised should have been sent for analysis to confirm what the problem was. If the vet thought that the condition observed was rabies then the state veterinary services would have checked free of charge.

It the pup did have rabies then there is a high likehood that other pups in the litter could be infected. Please note that there are other neurological/medical conditions that can present in a similar fashion. Please ensure that the pups are vaccinated aws Distemper can have a similar clinical presentation.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Tanya | 2012-06-29

Suggest you take all pups and mother to the vet.

Reply to Tanya